Sunday, July 22, 2012

Primary Sources

My courses so far have focused on my interest in using primary sources to enhance teaching and project-based-learning.  The Library of Congress in conjunction with the University of the Arts have provided courses that highlight the fabulous collections that are available online for everyone. I have completed the first course which dealt with photography and will soon begin to study the course devoted to poetry. The LOC has constructed a section specifically for teachers that provides overviews, guides and lesson plans to coordinate with their vast collection of photographs, original manuscripts, sheet music, recordings all of which bring any lesson with historical relevance to life in the classroom. The direct link to this page is http://www.loc.gov/


I have also created a Wiki to provide information on primary sources and as I locate new resources I will  add them. If someone knows of some great sources of primary material I would appreciate it you would contact me and I will add them to the page. The address for my wiki on primary sources is: http://primarysourcesforprojects.wikispaces.com/



The Library Company of Philadelphia 1314 Locust Street Philadelphia, Pa

The Library Company of Philadelphia was the first museum that we visited as a class and here we were shown a history of photography in Philadelphia from its early beginnings in the nineteenth century with daguerreotypes, stereotypes, personal scrapbooks, early postcards and much more.  The staff here were extremely knowledgeable and very happy to share the collection with teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment